MSc in Economics
Ranked 49th among the Top 50 Best Masters Programmes in Western Europe 2012
Programme Director: Catarina Roseta Palma
This Masters course is recommended for students who wish to obtain a rigorous and intensive training in economic theory and policy, at the graduate level, as currently practiced in top universities.
We cater for two common student profiles: those who wish to become successful academics at universities and research institutions, and those who wish to proceed to careers as professional economists, working for central banks, the banking industry,
government institutions or as economics and finance consultants.
The Masters degree consists of one year of full-time coursework, plus one year for research and writing a dissertation. In the first year, the two semesters are focused on providing strong foundations on the core subjects (microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics), while allowing students to choose four additional courses in field subjects (two in economics or finance, and the other two in political economy). In the final two semesters, students are expected to undertake research under the supervision of a faculty member, with the support of a seminar course in economic research.
There are five compulsory components of the coursework that should be highlighted. Students are required to:
1. Attend a one-week preparatory course in mathematics and statistics;
2. Take two compulsory modules in each of the three core areas;
3. Choose four elective modules from a list of additional courses;
4. Attend a seminar course in economic research in the third semester;
5. Write a dissertation of up to 10,000 words.
Continuing on to the Ph.D.
The MSc in Economics is designed to suit the interests both of students who wish to obtain a Masters qualification before embarking on careers as professional economists, and also of those who want to proceed in their academic studies by moving on to the Ph.D. program. For those students, the completion of the first year of the Masters coursework allows them to step into the Ph.D. program with a relevant advantage. They only have to attend six extra courses (one compulsory, 5 elective) in order to complete the coursework of the Ph.D. program, before starting full-time research for the dissertation.
Why choose the MSc in Economics?
Studying for a MSc in Economics at IBS will offer you:
- A strong economics and econometrics curriculum, taught in English, which provides robust quantitative foundations.
- The integration of computational methods into regular classes (for example MATLAB, E-Views, STATA).
- An opportunity to follow different areas of specialization in the last part of the program, allowing the student to pursue his or her own interests.
- A young and international faculty of research-oriented teachers, who strive to challenge students to excellence while giving them support and orientation.
- A choice of Research Seminars where students and professors present ongoing research.
- A small yet diverse group of students where close interaction can take place, both among students and with teachers.
- A personal development program designed to upgrade student’s overall personal skills, improving their prospects for a successful international career.
Experience of living in one of the safest, most beautiful, and friendliest cities in Europe. With very competitive living costs, a warm climate, sandy beaches and a highly cosmopolitan and multicultural population, Lisbon has just been chosen as the European City of the Year 2012.
MSc in Economics
“As a student of IBS I feel fully realized and very well prepared to devote to my future career, thanks to the excellent team of professionals who are part of this school. Throughout my master I noted the continued willingness of teachers to receive the students, listen to their concerns, provide elements of study and research tracks, as well as encourage them in times of doubts and hesitations. For me this is one aspect that differentiates the school. The affectionate and responsible way I was welcomed into MSc In Economics assured me of my responsibility as a student and person and helped me achieve the academic goals I set out to.”
MSc in Economics
“IBS offers a high quality education, which is fostered by its ambitious academic staff. The professors are experts in their fields and administer courses that contain both theoretical and practical elements. This kind of system required me to adopt a pro-active attitude toward my studies and encouraged me to develop my own ideas about complex economic problems.
Active support is given to students while preparing them for scientific life, and this is a very desirable feature and hard to find in a world focused on opportunistic behaviour. I took part primarily in the MSc in Economics and had the pleasure of being welcomed by gifted students, who made me feel I was definitely a part of the group.”