MSc in Marketing
Ranked 48th among the Top 50 Best Masters Programmes in Western Europe 2012
Programme Director: Sandra Loureiro
ISCTE Business School is well-known for offering the most highly rated, business-oriented Msc in Marketing in Portugal, with a clear international focus. Our full time, one year programme is designed for students with little or no work experience and will provide them with a highly advanced qualification, both theoretical and practical, that will boost their career prospects.
In a competitive, changing business world, there is a growing demand for young professionals equipped with advanced marketing skills, knowledge, leadership potential and the ability to effectively deliver from day one in an organization. The IBS programme makes use of its in-depth knowledge of the main marketing fields and passes this knowledge on to its students, giving them the tools they need to make an impact. The programme also features guest speakers - well-known to the field of marketing - who are anxious to share their skills and know-how with the participants in the programme.
Our commitment to academic excellence means we are also committed to the development of each student's personal skills. To assure that each student reaches his or her unique potential, we offer a state-of-the-art personal development programme (PdP) and innovative experiences that enable them to discover their leadership qualities and creativity.
If you want the best possible preparation for a bright and challenging future in the business world, take a look at the Master of Marketing of ISCTE Business School, a program that offers the best to those who seek the best.
Why choose the MSc in Marketing?
1. You will gain the skills, knowledge, and potential for success in your marketing career that come from our time-honored tradition of connecting theory with practice, and this innovative programme itself that covers the most groundbreaking aspects of marketing.
2. Through an innovative approach, the programme combines features of marketing and strategic management that explore new frontiers thanks to the expertise of our world class faculty, who give you the organizational vision, objectives and strategies plus
the skills to apply them to marketing.
3. The programme provides you with unique opportunities for personal development - a central feature of the MSc. in Marketing. A parallel programme is also offered that explores and develops every aspect of behavioural, attitudinal, and personal skills, making
you better prepared to achieve both your professional and personal goals.
4. A senior manager will act as your individual marketing mentor, and provide you with the advice, counselling and expertise you need to meet your career objectives.
5. Broad international exposure is provided - not only by our international faculty and students - but by a mid-week residential stay in Spain, in association with one of our prestigious educational partners. The mid-week experience will give you direct contact and
first-hand knowledge of different business environments and realities.
6. You will have unique opportunities to engage in networking, team-building and idea-sharing from day one of the course. The programme starts with a residential weekend aimed at quickly promoting personal contacts, building team chemistry and fostering programme awareness. This spirit is reinforced year-round with a host of other activities.
7. The programme gives you a leg up in becoming successfully integrated into the marketplace, with the participation of successful alumni now working for high-profile companies such as UNILEVER, Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola, Deloitte, TMN, Vodafone, Google, HP, KPMG, Kraft Foods, SIC, L’Oreal, Galp Energia, and other prestigious firms.
8. The course content is bolstered by the presence at ISCTE of the first European laboratory of research and analysis of new international trends in marketing - The Marketing FutureCast Lab project, sponsored by a joint venture of 20 of the most highprofile companies operating in Portugal.
9. You will get the unforgettable opportunity of living in one of the safest and most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. With a very affordable cost of living, warm climate, sandy beaches and an extremely hospitable, multicultural population, this is Europe’s west coast capital.
10. You will be an integral part a team of proven success: In 2010 a team of students from the MSc in Marketing won the World Final of the L’Oreal Brandstorm Competition, a leading international competition for business students involving more than 7,000 students from 43 countries.
The Marketing World Approach
A key feature of our Master's in Marketing is the opportunity it gives you to have real contact with the marketing industry:
Each course contains several illustrative examples from the real business and marketing world presented as cases, research findings, and small projects to undertake. This approach allows students to apply the concepts, instruments and analytical skills they have learned in the classroom, in a relevant, hands-on way.
Marketing Manager Agenda
Throughout the programme, you will have the chance to interact regularly with reputed practitioners who will offer their vision and experience of the field in a series of workshops aimed at discussing and analyzing the different areas of the marketing industry. You will also be assigned a marketing mentor in the second term of the programme. This personal mentor will be a senior manager of an internationally-oriented company and will provide you with an inside perspective of the marketing industry, career counselling, and networking opportunities.
The Final Project
The compulsory final project is the ultimate challenge of the IBS Master's in Marketing. It gives you the opportunity to apply your recently-acquired knowledge to a real marketing issue, situation or innovation. The project may be driven by a request made by a corporation, centred on an issue chosen by the student him or herself, or be based on the consulting or research activities of the faculty. The final project can be developed in a country of your choice, since, at that stage of the programme, you are not required to be in Portugal.
AUDAX Entrepreneurship Venture
The chance to develop a new business is another entrepreneurial alternative for the final project. AUDAX, the IBS's entrepreneurship centre, offers a stimulating environment for creating new ventures in conjunction with a private fund that finances start-ups developed by students.
Marketing FutureCast Lab
The research developed and valuable outcomes produced by this lab have already made it a reference for many marketers. Widely considered a privileged information source for new scenarios in marketing and innovation, the Marketing FutureCast Lab is able to generate strategic vision, foresight, operational insights, and guidelines on how to address new trends and get the most out of emerging markets. The plethora of information available on new trends also offers students subject matter on which they can base their final project.
Heloísa de Jesus Costa
MSc in Marketing
“IBS gave me the tools for an unforgettable academic experience and professional preparation. In a curricular matter I can say that in a practical way I was taught with always up-to-date subjects and contents that are fundamental in an ever changing competitive environment. Besides that IBS also played an important role in my personal development by supporting my own and colleagues’ entrepreneurship initiatives.”
MSc in Marketing
“Choosing the right master’s can make a difference in your future. Knowing this, I opted for the MSc in Marketing and am now finally able to say, in no uncertain terms, that I hit the bull’s-eye! The practical teaching methods used, based on solving real case studies, is head and shoulders above the regular type of theoretical teaching and gives you a clearer perspective of the market work-flow.
Learning how to manage human relations and how to work under pressure provides you with a wide range of soft skills that allow you to approach employers with confidence and present them with multi-faceted capabilities. If you know where you want to end up personally and professionally, this is where you should begin!”
MSc in Marketing
"MSc in Marketing at ISCTE Business School was undoubtedly one of my best choices!
After graduating from the Bachelor’s course, I felt I still wanted to develop my knowledge in Marketing further and ISCTE Business School was always my first choice, not only because it is one of the best universities in the area, but also the entire environment that offers support from the faculty, to the international experience and extra-curricular activities available to us. The Masters gives us every opportunity to prepare for a competitive and demanding job market."